An outdoor knife is often known as a survival knife and is a useful tool to have with you when you participate in any outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, and fishing. Outdoor knives should be very durable and well made so they can handle a variety of tasks including cutting rope, sharpening sticks, clearing your campsite, and helping to cook your meals.
While you may already have a pocket knife for smaller tasks, a fixed blade knife would also make a great addition because it offers more strength and stability so that you can tackle those bigger tasks.
With so many options for outdoor knives available, it may seem challenging to find the best one. A good outdoor knife will typically be around four to six inches long and have either straight or serrated blades. There are both folding and fixed blade options available but keep in mind that a folding blade, while easier to carry, may not offer as much strength and stability as a fixed blade option.
The following are reviews of some of the best outdoor knives currently available:
The outdoor Tanto Knife with a fire starter has a three-inch blade that is four millimeters thick and also includes a nylon lanyard with wristlet and a handle wrap. While it is slightly smaller than other outdoor knives, it is still well-made and durable and offers a total overall length of seven inches of stainless steel with full tang construction.
|Product Dimensions||7 x 0.2 x 0.5 inches|
|Product Weight||6.1 ounces|
- Includes an emergency fire starter
- Rugged and durable
- Solid, stainless-steel full tang blade
- Grip winding can also be used as emergency cordage
- Small and compact design can fit in your pack, boot, or glove compartment
- Includes a reinforced sheath
- Firestarter may fall out of the sheath
- Does not provide a very comfortable grip
The Hoffman Richter Wolf Fixed Blade Knife features titanium coated steel and has a good balance of edge retention and easy sharpening. The coating allows for improved durability so the knife will last and it also has an unbreakable four-inch long full tang blade with a thick 5.5mm drop point blade. It includes a sheath knife holder that has a belt loop so it can be fastened to your side and always within easy and convenient reach.
|Product Dimensions||1.4 x 2.65 x 10.9 inches (packaged)|
|Product Weight||12.4 ounces|
- Titanium coated stainless-steel blade for durability
- Unbreakable four-inch full tang blade
- Includes a 300-pound cord tie and glass breaker for emergencies
- Includes a sheath with a belt loop
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- May be heavier than expected
- Sheath with belt loop may hang too low
The StatGear Surviv-All Outdoor Knife features a full stainless-steel tang, drop point blade and also has a fire starter, sharpener, and cord cutter that can be used in emergency situations. The steel pommel can be used for hammering, and the rubber handle provides a secure and comfortable grip on the knife. For convenience, there is also an integrated knife sharpener found in the sheath.
|Product Dimensions||9.5 x 2.5 x 2 inches|
|Product Weight||15.2 ounces|
- Rubber textured handle for comfort and improved grip
- Steel pommel located on the bottom of the handle
- Heavy duty sheath has a fire starter, rod and cord cutter for emergencies
- Integrated knife sharpener for convenience
- Blade length is 4.25-inches
- Firestarter may fall out of the sheath
The CDS Survival Outdoor Knife is a high-performance knife made for outdoor use and was designed for hunters, campers, and other outdoor enthusiasts. It can be used in rough conditions and will still hold up well. The overall length of the knife is a little over ten inches long, and it includes a genuine leather sheath with fire steel and a sharpener included.
|Product Dimensions||10.82 inches with 5.7-inch blade length|
|Product Weight||Approximately one pound|
- Comes with firesteel to help light a fire
- Easy to carry
- Has a portable stone sharpener
- Handle allows for a better grip and is durable
- Very sharp blade
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Blade is non-corrosive
- There is no lanyard hole on the knife
- Leather sheath does not come with a belt to use around the waist
- Very high price point
The Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife offers a very versatile and durable tool for outdoor use that is made of a hardened stainless steel and features a patterned and high-friction grip that makes it easy to handle and more secure. It comes with a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty, and there are a variety of assorted colors to choose from. The sheath is also included and matches the color and has a belt clip so it can be within easy reach at all times.
|Product Dimensions||4 x 7 x 3 inches|
|Product Weight||0.25 pounds|
- High-quality steel construction for longevity and durability
- Stainless-steel blade stays sharper for longer
- High-friction grip for comfort and a good hold in even wet and cold conditions
- Provides greater control, safety, and performance
- Includes a color matched sheath with a belt clip
- Corrosion resistant blade
- Is not a full tang knife
- There is no hole for a lanyard
If you are looking for a high-quality knife that can be used outdoors without the fear of rusting or immediate signs of wear and tear, then any of the knives reviewed are viable options. Some of them have blades that are longer than others and may prove to provide a bit more stability and strength when compared to the smaller blades.
The inclusion of the additional features like the fire starter and sharpener are also good to look for when finding a superior quality knife and can help if you are faced with any kind of emergency situation.