A backpack is an important component to any outdoor adventure because it is the place in which you will store all of your essential gear and will be with you for the total duration of your trip. Whether you prefer a travel backpack, a tactical backpack, a hunting backpack, or even a laptop backpack with laptop compartment, they all have one thing that they must share: Durability. It is important that you choose a backpack that is tough, water resistant, and can fit your shelter, clothing, food, cell phone, a water bottle or other hydration pack, and other necessities comfortably and securely—and endure the rough and tumble of the outdoors.
When participating in any outdoor activity, you must be prepared for a lot of different situations including rough terrain and less than desirable weather conditions. For these reasons, it is important to choose bags with padded sternum straps that are extremely durable and made to last in even the most extreme and adverse outdoor conditions.
For improved durability, it is recommended that you look for a pack that includes a raincover, a backpack that is made from high-quality materials, tear- and water-resistant, abrasion-resistant, and one that is reinforced for strength and longevity.
The following are reviews of some of the best and most durable backpacks that are available on the market for 2017:
The Venture Pal Hiking Backpack is made from a high-quality tear-resistant material that provides the backpack with improves strength and durability. It features a double layer bottom and heavy-duty two-way SBS metal zippers and also has bar-tacks that are located at major stress points to increase the pack’s performance level and longevity.
|Product Dimensions||9 x 2.2 x 8.5 inches|
|Product Weight||11.2 ounces|
- It is a foldable and lightweight backpack
- Breathable mesh shoulder straps for comfort
- Large main compartment with adequate room
- Two front pockets for smaller accessories
- Multiple compartments for storage and organization
- Chest strap with whistle buckle for security
- Two side pockets can hold water bottles or umbrella
- Maybe smaller than expected
- Material is thin and may rip
- Not intended for prolonged exposure to rain or complete submersion
The Outlander Hiking Backpack is compact and can be folded and stored away to fit almost anywhere. It features multiple compartments for storage and organization and is made from a highly rip and water-resistant nylon material with reinforced stress points for improved durability and strength. The durable 2-way abrasion resistant SBS metal zippers are also included along the backside of the backpack.
|Product Dimensions||12 x 12 x3.5 inches|
|Product Weight||Not Specified|
- Lightweight, durable, and ideal for everyday use
- Folds down to fit into inner zippered pocket
- Several pockets for storage and organization
- Two front zippered pockets
- One internal security zippered pocket
- Rip and water-resistant nylon fabric for durability
- Adjustable and breathable straps for added comfort
- No hardback, so it doesn’t retain its shape unless filled
- Interior of backpack has thin lining
The Hisea Outdoor Hiking Backpack is the ideal pack for camping, trek and day hiking, backpacking, fishing, and touring. It is extremely durable and waterproof and made from a strong military nylon material with a waterproof coating. It also features a MOLLE hanging system in order to provide extra space and this pack is suitable for both men and women.
|Product Dimensions||5.12 x 16.93 x 10.63 inches|
|Product Weight||1.1 pounds|
- Can accommodate a capacity of up to 15 L
- Includes three buckles and adjustable shoulder straps
- Airstrip back system for improved comfort and ventilation
- Earphone jack included on the shoulder straps
- Includes a waterproof cover
- High strength D-Buckle
- High-density ventilation pad
- None specified
The G4 Free Sport Outdoor Military Backpack was custom designed by the company and has a volume capacity of up to 40 L. It features a spacious main compartment with a zip around closure, interior zippered pockets, as well as a mesh pocket for storage and organization. It is made from a high-quality and durable nylon and cloth fabric so it can withstand almost any conditions.
|Product Dimensions||19.7 x 11.8 x 10 inches|
|Product Weight||Not Specified|
- Includes a convenient grab top handle
- Made from nylon fabric for improved intensity and durability
- Front storage compartments with zippers
- Padded and adjustable shoulder straps for comfort and fit
- Breathable mesh backing for improved comfort and ventilation
- Adjustable and removable chest and hip belts
- MOLLE attachment points are not in ideal locations
- No side pocket for water bottle
The Orca Tactical Survival Backpack offers plenty of space to handle all your essential gear and also has two compartments for bulky items and two front compartments for smaller accessories. This backpack is made from 600D polyester material, so it was built tough and rigid for improved durability. It also has a water-resistant and scratch-proof coating and double stitching all along the sides of the backpack at stress points. It also has a 34 L capacity.
|Product Dimensions||11 x 18 x 12 inches|
|Product Weight||3 pounds|
- Contoured shoulder harnesses that are breathable and padded
- A padded backing
- Hydration bladder compartment
- Opening included for a hydration bladder hose
- Waist and chest straps for comfort and stability
- High-quality dual zippers and nylon pulls on each compartment
- Water-resistant and scratch-proof coating
- Multiple storage compartments for organization
- Velcro MOLLE webbing
- Color may vary slightly from what is pictured
When you think of a backpack’s durability, you typically think about how strong and tough the backpack is and what materials were used to construct it. Some of the most heavy-duty backpacks and sternum straps are made from an ultra-strong nylon and polyester material, and they include YKK-grade zippers.
Other common materials you can find with a durable backpack include heavier canvas material and even leather. That said, if you choose leather then you should also expect a significant increase in price as well.
The next thing to consider when finding a durable backpack is the weight of the load you will be carrying. The first thing to wear out on a backpack is usually the shoulder straps, and these can tear and rip a lot faster if you are overfilling the bags with more than it can handle. Reinforced seams are a good feature to look for or any other reinforcement you can find at common stress points.