Camping is a fun outdoor activity that requires a bit of preparation before it can be executed efficiently. There is a lot of gear that will have to be acquired to ensure that everyone on the trip is comfortable and able to have access to all the necessities they may need away from home.
One camping essential is, of course, the tent. Having adequate shelter is vital in keeping you and your gear safe and dry on your trip while also providing a comfortable place to sleep through the night away from the elements.
The question now, however, is: How do I decide which camping tent to purchase? While there are many options available, there are even more considerations to make before you settle on a tent—after all there is no one tent that is perfect for all campers. Are you looking for a simple one-person tent, a two-person tent, or a family tent? Is the center height of the tent important? How far will you have to carry it? How durable does it need to be? Once you can answer these questions, you will have a better idea of what type of tent would be best.
An instant dome tent is a good option to consider because it takes only a minute or even less to set it up. It does not sacrifice when it comes to durability and materials either and are typically made from thick fabrics that can withstand a variety of different conditions.
The following are reviews of some of the best instant tents available for purchase today:
The G4 Free Pop-Up Tent for Backpacking and Hiking is an efficient, lightweight, and quick option for any camping trip. Setup is easy because it automatically pops up so you can skip over a complicated assembly process. Simply throw it up into the air, and it will pop right open. Along with easy setup that takes only seconds, this tent also features two doors and three windows to offer improved ventilation, along with an insect screen layer to keep the bugs out.
|Product Dimensions||83 x 83 x 51 inches|
|Product Weight||Approximately 6 pounds|
- Can accommodate two children and two adults or three adults
- Tent material is both water and UV-resistant
- Windows and insect screen for ventilation and protection
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Includes two storage bags
- Water-resistant, not waterproof. Water may enter the tent
- May require two people to fold up and store away
The Coleman 8-Person Instant Tent is large enough to accommodate the entire family and takes little to no time to set up. The interior of this tent is large enough to fit two queen-sized air mattresses and the large screened windows and doors provide easy access, improved ventilation, and protection from mosquitoes and other bugs. It provides 14×10 feet of space.
|Product Dimensions||48 x 10.9 x 10.3 inches|
|Product Weight||43.8 pounds|
- Very spacious interior with plenty of room for up to eight people
- Large screened windows and two doors
- Utilizes the WeatherTec system for waterproof tent walls
- Includes a removable divider to divide the tent
- Lots of windows provide improved ventilation
- 60-second instant setup: unfold, extend, and secure
- Extremely heavy
- Zippers may become stuck on the front of the camping tent
- Gap at the bottom where the zippers meet
The Lightspeed Outdoors Quick Canopy Instant Tent offers easy setup and assembly with a hub system with pre-threaded poles. The tent is also lightweight so it is easy to carry and can provide adequate space for up to four people and their gear. There are plenty of storage solutions on the interior and it comes with a convenient bag for travel and storage.
|Product Dimensions||8 x 8 x 5 feet|
|Product Weight||Approximately 7 pounds|
- Offers UPF 50+ sun protection
- Lightweight and easy to carry with convenient bag and shoulder strap
- Can accommodate up to four people and their gear
- Features four side pockets for storage along with an overhead pocket
- Sturdy pole frames for added durability and strength
- Takes a bit longer to setup compared to other instant tents
- No clips; you have to tie the anchor cords
- May become too hot due to black color of floor in sunlight
The Genji Instant Up Pop-Up Tent pops up in just around two seconds and can be taken down in under five seconds. The material is durable and offers UV 50+protection. It is a lightweight tent that is easy to carry and comes with a convenient carrying bag and stakes to secure it to the ground. It also features windows for improved ventilation and each window comes with a roll-up cover for privacy.
|Product Dimensions||22 x 2 x 22 inches|
|Product Weight||5.6 pounds|
- Includes two large screened windows for ventilation
- Quick and easy setup and take down
- Back panel fully opens with zipper
- Strong steel beam frame for strength and stability
- Can fit up to two adults comfortably
- May be a challenge to fold back up at first
- Becomes very hot when not in the shade
The Core 12-Person Instant Cabin Tent can fit an entire family and then some and offers ample space for sleeping and storage. Its instant setup takes only a couple of minutes and includes two room dividers to turn the tent into a three-room tent. It also features storage pockets and a loft for gear storage and an electrical cord access port that you can close when it is not being used.
|Product Dimensions||79.2 x 120 x 216 inches|
|Product Weight||52.55 pounds|
- Large size offers plenty of room and can fit three queen-sized air mattresses
- Features H2O block technology and an adjustable ground vent
- Tent comes with rain fly, tent stakes, dividers, and carry bag
- Quick and effortless setup in just minutes
- Has large double doors on the front and one door on the back for easy access
- Zippered privacy panels on each window for added privacy and security
- Heavy to carry
- May not do well when exposed to heavier wind
As you can see from the reviews, there are plenty of instant tent options for everyone that range in size and features. It is not hard to find something suitable for your trip that will be able to accommodate your entire family as well as safely store away all your gear.