If you are planning on going on a fun and adventurous camping trip with the entire family, then a family tent may have crossed your mind at some point or another. There are many types of tent available on the market such as dome tents, cabin tents, pop up tents, and even inflatable tents. A family tent needs to be big enough to fit the entire family while still leaving some much-needed space for gear and organization.
The best family tents will have taller and steeper walls to create more interior space for the family and it will be heavier and more durable than other tent sizes. A family tent when compared to a three-season tent offers more space and is priced lower.
The following are tent reviews of the best Family tents (or six-man tents) that are available:
The Coleman Weather Master Screened Tent can comfortably sleep up to six people and consists of two rooms. It features a floorless screened in room that helps with ventilation and even provides a nice area for additional storage where it can be protected from the elements. The other section of the tent is where the campers can sleep.
|Price||$167.75 – $503.35|
|Product Dimensions||204x108x80 inches|
|Product Weight||Not Specified|
- Features two rooms—one screened in area and a sleeping area
- WeatherTec System to keep you dry
- Polyester taffeta fly with a polyester mesh inner tent
- Rainfly for added weather protection
- 20-minute setup
- Insta-clip pole attachments
- Snag-proof continuous pole sleeves
- Door may not be as big as expected
- Needs more than two storage compartments
The Eureka Copper Canyon tent is designed to fit up to six people and a freestanding design with combination steel and fiberglass frame with clips, pole sleeve, and ring and pin assembly. It also features a large “D” style door for easy entry and exit, and there are also windows on each side for improved ventilation and visibility. It offers about 100 square feet of space.
|Product Dimensions||120x120x84 inches|
|Product Weight||25 pounds|
- Features four large windows for ventilation
- Sturdy and durable steel and fiberglass frame
- Factory-sealed floor and seams
- Coated polyester fabric material for water-resistance
- Shock-corded poles for easy assembly
- Two mesh pockets for storage
- Includes a roof vent
- External guy points on the fly for strong winds
- Zippered flap and gear loft
- Poor rainfly design—water can drain into the tent
- Door zipper may get caught
The Timber Ridge Family Camping Tent can hold up to six people and is constructed with durable materials such as flexible fiberglass and a steel hybrid frame. It is water-resistant and comes with a carry bag, stakes, and electricity entrance.
|Product Weight||13.8 pounds|
- Heavy-duty polyethylene floor
- Includes three shock-corded fiberglass poles
- Includes a carry bag for storage
- “D” style door for easy entry and exit
- Waterproof taped seams
- Ventilation with a rollback rain fly
- Made of water-resistant polyester material
- No closures to zip shut around the screen areas
- Top of the tent is mesh, and you have to go outside to adjust the rain fly
The Coleman Six-Person Instant Cabin provides plenty of space for your family and setup is easy because of the pre-attached poles. You simply have to unfold, extend, and secure, and your cabin and rain fly will be operational in only about sixty seconds.
|Product Dimensions||120x108x72 inches|
|Product Weight||24.9 pounds|
- Constructed with weather-resistant materials
- Features a waterproof floor
- Quick and easy 60-second setup
- Illuminated reflective guylines for improved visibility
- Includes an integrated vented rainfly
- Anti-wicking thread, polyester fabric, and webbing
- Some come with no rainfly even though the product specifies one
- Less space than the product claims to provide
The Columbia Sportswear Ashland 6 Person Tent is a three-season tent that offers ample space for you and your family on your next camping trip. It is made from water- and stain-repellent fabric and can dry up to three to five times faster than other materials that have not been treated. It includes a rainfly to keep the water out and offers good ventilation.
|Product Dimensions||72x132x108 inches|
|Product Weight||Approximately 18 pounds|
- Can fit two queen-sized air mattresses
- Omni-shield technology to help repel water and stains
- Strong and sturdy fiberglass poles
- Easy and quick set-up
- Lightweight—even when wet
- Front door zipper can get stuck
- Cannot cover the vent hole at the top of the tent
- Hard to get back into the storage bag
The Daybreak 6 Person Deluxe Camping Tent makes a good family tent so everyone can stay together. It is designed with outdoor comfort in mind and offers a large and comfortable space for sleeping. It also features full rain coverage so the family can stay warm and dry or get some shade on hotter days. The kit comes with everything you need to set up your tent including steel stakes and fiberglass poles.
|Product Dimensions||129x104x71 inches|
|Product Weight||15.4 pounds|
- Durable and strong polyester material
- Includes a tear-resistant insect mesh roof
- 4 square foot vestibule area
- Vestibule can convert into a shade awning
- Rain fly for full coverage
- Quick and easy assembly
- Guylines for improved visibility
- Steel stakes for durability during heavy winds
- Tent floor is a little thin
- Rain fly is also a bit thin—hard to keep heat in at night
Whichever family tent you choose, you are sure to have plenty of space for you and the family to sleep, congregate, and store your gear. Some options, including the last tent, is large enough that you can stand upright while inside.
The best way to choose your next family tent is to determine how much space you will need, how many people you will have to accommodate, and what features you are looking for to make your next camping trip enjoyable and comfortable.