A large tent has the capacity to fit eight people and more and people tend to purchase these bigger tents because they are looking for an expansive amount of comfort, space, and features for their next camping trip.
Though you may not be able to find an instant tent at this size, a large camping tent is ideal at a family tent for those with larger families and cuts out the need to have to lug around several smaller tents. Instead, you will have just the one tent to take to camp, set up, and take back down. It will also be able to better accommodate all the gear you will bring for your large family.
Compared to other tents, 8-person tents are actually a lot easier to set up now than they were before. Instead of camping in several smaller tents and worrying about their setup, it is quick and easy to set up one tent that offers ample space and privacy.
The following are reviews of some of the best 8-person or larger tents that are currently available online for your next big family camping trip:
The Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent is a family tent that can accommodate your large family while offering plenty of space and protection from the outside elements. Room dividers are also included so that you can easily divide the tent into three rooms.
|Product Dimensions||204x120x72 inches|
|Product Weight||24.2 pounds|
- Easy setup with shock-corded poles and easy instructions
- Air-port and Variflo adjustable venting system
- WeatherTec System keeps water out
- Includes room dividers to create three different rooms for privacy
- Footprint of 10’x17’ and ceiling height of 6’
- Venting system to improve airflow
- Will not provide much warmth on cooler nights
- One person can assemble—but it may require two people
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass Tent can hold up to ten people and it features large mesh roof vents and windows for improved ventilation. It has two large doors for convenience and the hooped fly frame adds much-needed rain and weather protection.
|Product Dimensions||76x216x120 inches|
|Product Weight||21.3 pounds|
- 2 “D” style doors for convenience and easy entrance
- Polyester mesh windows and roof vents for ventilation
- Shock-corded fiberglass for easy setup
- Welded polyethylene floor and mud mats are included
- Includes a divider curtain to create two separate rooms
- Integrated stow-n-go duffel system for storage
- You can slightly see through the sheer divider
- May be heavier than expected
The Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe 8-Person Tent is large and spacious and features a 6’6” ceiling height so you can stand upright. It is also extremely durable, watertight, and breathable. There are four large windows and two doors and provides the ultimate in outdoor camping comfort for the entire family.
|Product Dimensions||11.1×14.2×50 inches (10×14 feet)|
|Product Weight||84.6 pounds|
- Constructed of Hydra-Shield and 100% cotton duck canvas
- Tight weave and silicone finish
- Flex-Bow frame with spring steel rods and 1-inch steel tube poles
- Customizable gear and loft organizer system
- Large awning for shade and covered entry
- Strap and cinch storage bag is included
- Includes two funnel-flow vents for circulation
- Large front and back doors for convenient access
- Very heavy and may be difficult to assemble
- May need better ventilation
The Columbia 8-Person Dome Tent is an ideal three-season tent for the family and can even accommodate two queen mattresses. It features Omni-Shield Technology to help create a water-resistant barrier and helps the fabric stay lightweight even when it gets wet. The fabric is also stain-repellent and can dry up to five times faster than other materials.
|Product Dimensions||96x912x168 inches|
|Product Weight||24.7 pounds|
- Omni-Shield water and stain repellant materials
- Omni-Shield fabric stays lightweight even when wet
- Includes a room divider
- Features six large windows
- Place in the center of the tent to hang a light
- Can hold two queen-sized mattresses
- Door zipper may get caught on the door trim strip
- Hard to fit everything back into its bag
The Wenzel 8-Person Klondike Tent is constructed of weather-repellant polyester and has a polyurethane coating. It also features a full mesh roof option and double staked corners for improved durability. There is plenty of space for a large family within its 98 square feet of space. A screen room is attached for additional space to gather, eat, or relax and offers 60 square feet of space.
|Product Dimensions||132x16x16 inches|
|Product Weight||27.3 pounds|
- Attached screen room for additional space
- Fiberglass frame and power corners for strength and durability
- Double-stitched and lap-felled seams for water protection
- Two easy access hanging pockets for storage
- Full mesh roof and two mesh windows
- Screen room features zipped up walls
- Water-resistant coating and weather armor polyester fabric
- May not be ideal for colder weather conditions
- Very heavy and bulky
- Windows do not fully zip all the way across
Large tents offer a bigger family more space and superior features for their camping trips. Room dividers are often included with larger tents that award you the opportunity to divide the space into separate rooms for privacy and some even come with screened in areas for a nice picnic, relaxing, or additional gear storage.
Always keep in mind, however, that due to the massive size of these large tents, they will be on the heavier side, so you won’t want to have to carry it very far. Also, remember that these tents are typically more expensive than 6-person tents and they often require the assistance of other people to help assemble. It is not often a one-person job. They are, however, extremely durable and are built to last and the many premium features will pay off in the long run.